Follow @SabineHeyvaert

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Some reasons not to quit Russian evening class

Second lesson already tomorrow. Last week was good to see everybody back. Well, not everybody. Quite some (ex-)classmates had decided to take a break for a year or not to continue with Russian evening course at all. Understandable, after three years it is tempting to do something else, something new. On the other hand, for me, giving up after three years would make those three previous years some waste of time. I don't have the level yet to continue with Russian on my own, to use it in certain circumstances already. And if you don't use it, you forget it. That would be a pity!
I have another particular reason. We haven't learned the plural case endings yet. I love grammar and I just cannot stop Russian course without having learned the plural case endings. It would feel 'incomplete'.
And on top of all that - for those who were ready to refer to self-study etc. - it is FUN to go to Russian class.

NB: I would have done better last Thursday if I had rehearsed more than 5 lessons (remember?) so I decided to make a good start and I did my homework for tomorrow. Good girl!

3 comments:

  1. Counterarguments & suggestions provided bezplatnje.
    1. look up 'sunk cost fallacy' -
    2. given that it took three years to forget the singular, how many years will it take to forget the plural? -
    3. google for 'have fun outside russian class'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting concept, this 'sunk cost fallacy'...
    By the way, where were you yesterday? Please re-read my posting Absenteeism.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was no doubt fallaciously sinking other costs :-) Happy September 11 !

    ReplyDelete